Warm Pearl Barley and Roasted Vegetable Salad
It’s early September and although we’re enjoying some lovely late summer sunshine, you can feel that early Autumnal chill first thing in the morning. It’s that in between season where I’m not really sure what to wear or what to cook. I’m not quite ready for soups and casseroles yet but a green salad doesn’t quite hit the spot on those cooler, cloudy days.
So this week for lunch I’ve been enjoying this warm salad. It’s lovely eaten on it’s own with some salad leaves or with some grilled chicken or fish for a more satisfying meal.
- 300g pearl barley
- 250g baby carrots, peeled and sliced diagonally
- 250g cauliflower, cut into bite sized florets
- 3 Eschalion shallots, quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, lightly crushed
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- Large handful flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 100g white stilton
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Heat the oven to 180C/350F.
- Cook the pearl barley according to the packet instructions*.
- Place the sliced carrots, cauliflower florets, shallots, fennel seeds and garlic on a large roasting tray and drizzle with the olive oil. Toss everything together, season with salt and pepper and roast for 30-35 minutes. The carrots should be tender and the cauliflower golden brown on the edges.
- Whisk all the dressing ingredients together. Taste and season.
- Strain the pearl barley and mix in the roasted vegetables, chopped parsley, dressing and half the stilton.
- Serve warm with the remaining stilton crumbled on top.
- *The instructions on my packet of pearl barley say to cook for 1 hour 15 mins, however it was cooked in 30! You want it to be cooked but still have a bit of bite.