Tropical Chia Energy Balls
While I was hunting through my cupboard looking for some nuts the other day, I found half a bag of forgotten chia seeds. I love chia seeds, they have so many amazing health benefits that for a while I was adding them to almost everything. And then I forgot about them…. until now.
They are the perfect addition to these sweet treats and give them a huge nutritional boost. These lovely snacks take just minutes to make. They’re gooey and sticky with a bit of crunch from the seeds and bite from the nuts. And although you can eat the dough straight out of your food processor bowl (and let’s be honest, who doesn’t have just a little taste of the dough when they’re baking) they taste even better if you can be patient enough to leave them in the fridge for an hour or so to chill.
- 200g dates (Medjool or Deglet Noir)
- 60g cashew nuts
- 40g dried apricots
- 1 tbsp desiccated (shredded) coconut (plus extra to coat the balls)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- Remove the stones from the dates and place them in your food processor bowl.
- Add all the other ingredients and blitz together to make a sticky dough. This may take a minute or two depending on the speed of your food processor.
- Take heaped teaspoons of dough and use your hands to roll into a ball shape.
- Place 2 tbsp shredded coconut in a bowl and then roll the balsl in the coconut until the outside is covered.
- Put the coconut covered balls on a plate and chill in the fridge for about 1 hour.
- These balls will keep well in the fridge for about 5-6 days.