Sweet and Spicy Potato & Bean Soup
This is possibly my favourite soup …… ever! It’s another recipe from my book, 25 Soup Recipes, and is really a cross between a soup and a stew. On the day you make it it’s definitely a soup but left overnight it will thicken and become more like a stew (as you can see from the picture). It’s a really hearty soup with an unusual ingredient that adds wonderful flavour and creaminess.
If you’d like to buy my book, please click here.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 400g (1 can) black beans, drained & rinsed
- 400g (1 can) chopped tomatoes
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp mild chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 55g cashew nut butter
- 2 large handfuls fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium/low heat and sauté the onion until it is soft and translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Add the chopped sweet potato and all the spices. Mix well and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, black beans and vegetable stock. Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the cashew nut butter and spinach and serve.