Sweet Potato Quinoa Salad
This is a really substantial and filling salad. It makes a great vegan meal on its own or would be a lovely side dish to serve at a barbeque.
Roasting times can vary depending on your oven and the size of your potato chunks so do keep an eye on them during cooking to make sure they don’t burn.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (approx. 2.2Kg), peeled and cubed into bite sized pieces
- 1 x 400g can chickpeas, rinsed drained and patted dry
- 2 small red onions, cut into wedges
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 60g (1/2 cup) quinoa, cooked in
- 250ml (1 cup) water
- Handful of chopped fresh parsley
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- Pre heat the oven to 200C (390F)
- In a large bowl toss together the cubed sweet potatoes and onion wedges with 1 tbsp olive oil and 1/4 tsp salt. Coat thoroughly and spread onto a baking sheet, placing the onion wedges at one end.
- In the same bowl toss together the chickpeas with 1 tbsp olive oil, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper. Coat thoroughly and spread out onto a second baking sheet.
- Place both trays in the oven and set the timer for 15 mins. Remove the onion wedges after 15 minutes. Toss the chickpeas and sweet potatoes and continue to roast for a further 15 minutes or until the chickpeas are a golden brown colour and the potato cubes are turning golden on the edges and are soft in the middle.
- Meanwhile cook the quinoa in the water. Bring to the boil in a saucepan and then simmer until almost all the water has been absorbed. Turn off the heat, put the lid on the pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl gently combine the potato, quinoa and onion wedges.
- Whisk together 2 tbsp olive oil, juice of 2 limes and 2 tsp maple syrup. Taste and adjust sweetness as needed.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and top with the roasted chickpeas to serve.
- Can be served warm or at room temperature.