Squash & Cannellini Bean Stew
Slow cooker meals are a favourite in my house during the colder months. I usually double up on a recipe so I’ve got a freezer full of healthy meals for those busy weekday nights.
This stew is the perfect comfort food for those chilly Autumn evenings. There’s just enough chilli to warm the dish without making it ‘hot’ and lots of flavour from the sweet squash and potato. I usually serve this with some broccoli or sweetheart cabbage and maybe some rice.
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 400g can canellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 100g fresh spinach
- 500ml vegetable stock (hot)
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp red chilli flakes
- 2 tsp mixed Italian herbs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Drizzle the olive oil into the slow cooker pot and add the squash, potato, onion, beans, tomatoes and tomato puree.
- Sprinkle the chilli flakes and mixed herbs over the top and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the hot stock over everything and stir well.
- Cook on medium for 6 hours.
- Add the spinach and stir and cook for a further 5 mins - just enough to wilt the spinach