Radish, Halloumi and Tomato Salad
Magazines used to be a weaknesses of mine. I couldn’t walk by a magazine stand without picking up one or two of the glossies. Then for a while I got into the health and fitness magazines, finally moving on to papercraft magazines a few years ago when I really got into cardmaking. I dread to think how much I’ve spent over the years. Cookery magazines have never inspired me though. There never seems to be that many recipes in them and then there’s only one or two that I would actually make. So I was pleasantly surprised a few years ago when I bought one of those ‘magazines that thinks its a book’; “365 Veggie Recipies – A Year of Meat Free Meals”.
Most vegetarian magazines tend to feature a lot of pasta recipes but this one has some really lovely and different ideas. This salad is is very simple to make and uses one of my favourite seasonal food, Jersey Royal new potatoes. They would definitely make it onto my top 10 foods in the world list and I look forward to late Spring when they arrive in the shops. I could quite happily eat a big bowl full, hot or cold, with just a dish of Heinz salad cream to dip them in!
If you’re eating for weight loss then I recommend you limit the amount of potatoes you eat. They may be low in calories but they are a very starchy carbohydrate that is quickly converted to glucose when you eat them. However, they are a good source of Vitamin C and fibre so can certainly be included as part of a healthy diet.
- 300g new potatoes, halved
- 80g radishes, sliced
- 80g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 200g halloumi cheese, thickly sliced
- Splash of olive oil
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp whole grain mustard
- Small handful of fresh dill, chopped (not used in the photo shown)
- Salt & pepper
- Place the potatoes in a medium saucepan, cover with water and bring to the boil. Simmer for 10-15 minutes until cooked then drain and set aside.
- In a bowl whisk together the olive oil and vinegar, then add the mustard and dill and mix well.
- Add the cooked potatoes, tomatoes and radishes to the dressing, season with salt and pepper and mix well.
- Heat a splash of olive oil in a frying pan and cook the halloumi slices until golden brown on both sides. Watch closely - the cheese can go from uncooked to burnt very quickly!
- Spoon the salad onto a plate, place 2-3 halloumi slices on the top and drizzle a little of the dressing over the cheese. Serve immediately.