As a vegetarian I often use Quorn mince to make lasagne, chilli and spaghetti bolognese. Although it is a fantastic substitute for meat, it’s still a man-made food so I wanted to come up with an alternative that was vegetarian but was still hearty and ‘meaty’.
This bolognese recipe is vegan and incredibly simple to make. Let it simmer for a good 30 minutes to get a fragrant, rich bolognese that can be enjoyed with spaghetti or used to make a lasagne.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 200g white mushrooms; 1/2 diced, 1/2 sliced
- 400g can cooked green lentils, drained and rinsed
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- Salt & pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan and gently saute the onion until soft.
- Add the garlic and mushrooms and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add the lentils, tomatoes, tomato puree, rosemary, sage and balsamic vinegar. Bring to a simmer, reduce the heat and cook for 30 minutes. If the sauce gets a bit thick add a little water.
- Serve with your favourite pasta and a sprinkling of parmesan cheese.