Mushroom & Chickpea Stew
Just when I thought the weather was getting warmer, it changes again and I’m back to walking our dog with my thick winter coat on! I promise there will be some lighter, salad recipes coming your way soon, but in the meantime, I hope you enjoy this comforting vegan mushroom and chickpea stew.
I found the recipe online (it’s originally from Deliciously Ella) and made just a couple of little changes to suit my taste buds.
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 8 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 850g mushrooms, thinly sliced (leave some small ones whole)
- 4 tsp tumeric
- 4 tsp ground cumin
- 3 tsp mild chilli powder
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 7 tbsp tomato puree
- 600ml boiling water
- 2 x 400g tins chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- Large handful of flat leaf parsley, finely chopped (stalks removed)
- Juice of 2 lemons
- In a large pan saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil for about 5 minutes or until soft and translucent.
- Add the tumeric, cumin and chilli and cook for a further minute.
- Pour in the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, boiling water, then add the sliced carrots and mushrooms.
- Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas and parsley and cook for a further 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, add the lemon juice and serve.
- Nutritional Information: 1 serving = 292Kcal, 41.2g carbohydrate, 15.1g protein, 6.8g fat
- These numbers are approximate and are calculated using MyFitnessPal.