There is a fabulous Lemon & Blueberry loaf recipe on the Joy of Baking website which has proved very popular with my family and friends. So I decided to experiment and come up with a healthier version – these muffins are the result.
Lemon & Blueberry Muffins
- 50g (1/2 cup) coconut flour
- 1 Tbsp xylitol
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 4 eggs
- 6 Tbsp coconut milk
- 25g (1/4 cup) coconut oil, melted
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 75g (3/4 cup) fresh or frozen blueberries
- Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees celsius (350 degrees farenheit)
- Place 8 paper muffin cases in your muffin tin
- In a bowl mix together the coconut flour, xylitol, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and lemon zest.
- In a separate bowl whisk the eggs. Add the coconut milk, half the lemon juice and vanilla extract and whisk together.
- Combine the wet and dry mixtures and mix well to make smooth batter.
- Carefully fold the blueberries into your batter and then spoon into the paper cases, about 3/4 full.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- When cooked, remove from the oven and prick the top of your muffins with the toothpick. Carefully spoon over the remaining lemon juice and leave to stand for 10 mins. Then remove from the muffin tin and cool on a wire rack.