Indian Spiced Rice Salad
This salad is really quick and easy to prepare and make a lovely accompaniment to some grilled chicken or salmon.
*Disclaimer – I HATE corriander (cilantro). I know it goes really well with Indian dishes but it would appear that I am one of those people who have the OR6A2 gene which makes this herb taste like bubblebath! Therefore I used flat leaf parsley instead. If you don’t have this gene, add corriander to your hearts content!!
- 200g (1 cup) basmati rice
- 1 tsp ground tumeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- 25g (1/4 cup) flaked almonds, toasted
- 3 inch piece of cucumber, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 60g (1/2 cup) sultanas
- Handful of fresh corriander (or flat leaf parsley), finely chopped
- 125ml (1/2 cup) natural yoghurt
- 1 1/2 tsp mild curry powder
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Generous pinch of salt and pepper
- Cook the rice as per the packet instructions. Add the tumeric and cumin to the cooking water to flavour and colour the rice.
- While the rice is cooking, spread the flaked almonds onto a baking sheet and toast under a hot grill. This only takes a minute or two so keep a close eye on them.
- When the rice is cooked drain well and set aside to cool.
- Once cool, mix all the salad ingredients together.
- Mix all the dressing ingredients together well. Taste and add extra seasoning if needed.