I love chocolate so I’m always on the look out for a healthy chocolate dessert. And I stumbled on a gem of a recipe when I found this one! The original recipe comes from The Wannabe Chef and I only tweaked it very slightly to incorporate ingredients I already had in the cupboard.
This is a really indulgent dessert. The ingredients are quite expensive but if you love chocolate without any of the guilt then this is definitely for you.
Chocolate & Hazelnut Slice
- 1 cup (200g) whole hazelnuts
- 1 cup (approx. 7 large) medjool dates (stones removed)
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp agave nectar
- 1 large, ripe avocado
- 1 Tbsp coconut milk (the thick cream from the top)
- Place the hazelnuts in a food processor and whizz until they resemble a course flour.
- Add the chopped dates, 1/2 cup cocoa powder & 1/4 cup agave nectar and mix until the ingredients form a thick, sticky dough.
- Place the dough between two sheets of baking parchment and roll to about 2cm thick.
- Use a sharp knife and cut the dough into equal size rectangles. (This is a dense, filling dessert so don\'t make the slices too big). You will probably need to re-roll the dough a couple of times - I got 10 slices from mine.
- Place in the fridge to chill.
- Place the avocado, remaining cocoa powder, coconut milk and agave nectar in a bowl and blend really well. Scrape down the sides of your bowl to ensure all the avocado is incorporated.
- IMPORTANT: Make sure you taste the cream filling. You may need to add more sweetener or a bit more cocoa powder if you can still taste the avocado.
- Spread half the cream filling on half the slices, place the other slices on top and then spread on the rest of the cream.
- Sprinkle with shredded coconut.