Cauliflower ‘Fried Rice’
A few years ago when I was experimenting with a lower carb diet, I tried cauliflower rice. If you Google it you’ll find loads of recipes but I must have picked a few of the bad ones because each time I made it it tasted bleugh!
But when I opened the fridge last night and saw a forgotten cauliflower in the veggie box, I decided to have another go. And I’m glad I did. This recipe from Domesticate Me is definitely a keeper. It simple to make – just get all your ingredients prepped and ready before you start to cook. You can serve it as an accompaniment to fish or meat or enjoy a big bowl full on its own for a satisfying and incredibly nutritious meal.
I’ll be replacing this photo as soon as I can as the lighting is terrible!
- 2 tsp coconut oil (or olive oil)
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 medium cauliflower, grated
- 1 red pepper, seeds & pith removed and diced
- 5 closed cup white mushrooms, diced
- 1 small courgette, diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and grated
- 5 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, minced
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- Start by prepping your vegetables
- Cut the florets from your cauliflower and coarsely grate. The grating attachment of your food processor is perfect for this job but a box grater will do the job. Set aside.
- Grate the carrot and dice the rest of the vegetables, keeping the onion and garlic separate.
- Heat the coconut oil in a wok or large pan until melted. Add the onion and garlic and saute for 3-4 minutes until the onion softens and becomes translucent.
- Add the mushrooms, peppers, courgette and carrot and saute for a further 4-5 minutes until they are just tender.
- Add the grated cauliflower to the sauteed vegetables. Cover and cook for 5 minutes over a medium low heat. The cauliflower should be tender, not mushy.
- While the cauliflower is cooking mix the soy sauce, rice vinegar and ginger together in a small bowl.
- With your spoon, make a well in the centre of the cauliflower rice. Crack the eggs into the well and scramble them using a fork. Once the eggs have started to solidify mix them into your fried rice.
- Add the soy sauce mixture and fresh basil and cook for a further minute.
- Serve while piping hot.