Broccoli & Feta Fritters
I hate to throw food away but this week I found myself with some broccoli that needed to be used fast otherwise it was heading for the recycling bin. I’d seen a recipe for cauliflower fritters so I thought I’d have a go at making a green version. And they’re really good. They make a nice light lunch and can easily be reheated the next day for a healthy breakfast.
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed (soaked in 4 tbsp cold water)
- 150g broccoli florets
- 1 clove garlic
- 60g spelt flour
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 40g feta cheese
- Place 1 tbsp ground flaxseed into a mug with 4 tbsp cold water. Set aside and allow to swell into a gel (flax egg).
- Place the broccoli florets in a food processor and blitz for 20-30 seconds until they resemble breadcrumbs.
- In a large bowl mix together the processed broccoli, spelt flour, lemon juice, salt and olive oil. Add the flax egg and mix well.
- Slowly add a little water until the mixture forms a firm batter. Crumble in the feta cheese and mix carefully.
- Lay the fritters on a lined baking tray and place in the fridge for 30 mins.
- Add 1-2 tbsp olive oil to a frying pan. When hot add 3-4 fritters and fry over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown.