Following on from my recent article about bloating I wanted to share with you my favourite natural remedy, turmeric milk.
The health benefits of turmeric are receiving a lot of attention at the moment because its main active ingredient, curcumin, is such a powerful anti-inflammatory and a very strong anti-oxidant. So not only is this milk good for aiding digestion, it’s also great for;
- boosting your immune system
- relief from coughs and colds
- flushing toxins from your body
- skin conditions such as eczema
- relief from headaches
- helping you sleep
* If you’re taking blood thinning medication please avoid taking high doses of turmeric.
I made a short video about the health benefits of turmeric milk and how to make it which you can watch here. (I’ll add a picture later – I drunk the milk I made in the video before realising I hadn’t taken a picture!!)
- 1 glass non-dairy milk
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric (or 1 tbsp freshly grated turmeric)
- 1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 4 cardamon pods
- 3 black peppercorns
- Sweetener to taste (liquid Stevia, honey)
- Place the milk and all the spices in a small saucepan and warm over a low heat for about 5 minutes. Do not allow it to boil.
- Remove from the heat and let it stand for another 5 minutes.
- Strain out the spices, add your chosen sweetener and serve warm.